Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Monochromatic Painting Based on Art History

Below is the picture of the painting I chose to base my recreation of my Monochromatic Painting. The work is titled New Growth, and the poster was created by the artists Megan Aroon Duncanson. Duncanson is most recognized for working with giclee prints, because it offers color accuracy, and a smooth, acid free surface. Giclee works come to life through a printing process where millions of ink droplets are sprayed onto the paper's paper creating natural color transitions. Duncanson likes to express the content of her work by giving it color and creating contrast and giving emphasis to the background. The artist is also known for working with the theme of trees, sunsets and starry nights. 

The picture below is an image of my recreation of  Duncanson's work. Even though the original is a poster, I decided to recreate it as a painting because the texture found in it captured my attention, and I thought it would be fun to play around with the colors of the artwork. Also, the idea of using this image on a canvas medium could make it look really cool. Notice how in the first image there is a lot of contrast between the tree and the background. My painting doesn't show much contrast, since my background is monochromatic, but it shows just as much texture, since there it is a value scale. In order to make the painting my own, I decided to alter some things. For example, I chose to create more emphasis on the three, and choose cooler colors to make my painting. I personally feel that overall, my recreation represents me and my style more, which is why I like it. I feel I could have added more detail or value to the tree, to make it even more interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment