Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Abstract Letter Design

1. What colour scheme(s) did you use in your design? Did you change your plan along the way? Why or why not?

I wanted my artwork to be very colorful, which is why I used most colors in the color wheel. I chose to do some of the background monochromatic because it would show depth. In order to create emphasis I used complimentary colors in certain areas that I wanted to stand out, and used an analogous scheme to tie all the colors in. I did change where I wanted certain color schemes to go in order for the composition to look put together, but I stuck with my original idea of using a lot of colours.

2. Where is the emphasis in your design? What is creating it and was this your intention? Explain.

The emphasis in my design in found mainly in the two diagonal lines and in the circle. I created this emphasis by using complimentary colors that would make each other stand out. I wanted to whole artwork to be really colorful, so in order to get certain areas to stand out I had to be careful when choosing what colour scheme to do.

3. What kind of movement do you see in your design? What is creating it and was this your intention? Explain.

The movement is mainly seen in the lines that go across the canvas. I created this by using complimentary colours in contrast to a more monochromatic and analogous background. I wanted there to be a lot of space in one side of the canvas and then little space on the other to show movement as well, and I achieved this by using more letter and by using more colors where I wanted it to be crowded.

4. If you could repeat this project, what would you do differently? Explain.

I would use other paints, specially the blue one, because it was very difficult to work with, since it took a lot of time to get the colors to look even. I would also incorporate more curved lines in the composition, because I feel it could provide more movement and depth. Finally, I would have used different letters and fonts, because personally I think that the L and C weren't as fun to work with since they are pretty plane. Maybe using them in a cursive font would've allowed me to explore more with the design.

5. What are three (3) things that you learned from doing this project that you think may be helpful to you in future art projects? Be specific.

Firstly I learned that no matter how hard it is to work with certain paints because they look uneven or patchy, it is important to be patient and paint things by layers so they look neater. I also learned that color plays a huge role when it comes to your artwork, because it can either make things stand out or push them into the background. Finally, I learned that it is always important to have a plan of what you want to do because this way the chances of you messing up are slimmer.


4 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I like you design a lot, it is refreshingly different. With all that colour, and not much of a plan going into it, you ran the risk of losing control of the colour. However, I think you managed a well-balanced design with strong areas of emphasis. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please add your work habits reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please add your work habits reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I like you design a lot, it is refreshingly different. With all that colour, and not much of a plan going into it, you ran the risk of losing control of the colour. However, I think you managed a well-balanced design with strong areas of emphasis. Well done!

    ReplyDelete